Monday, January 19, 2009

Assassin's Creed Issues

 Well let me tell you about this little thing. Yesterday, after quite a long long long long day ( of doing nothing) I decided to catch up on my gaming. Yes I can consider myself a gamer, I have a passion for games, but I haven't really played anything the last few months for different reasons. So I decided to replay Assassin's Creed, cause I never had the chance to test it on the new GPU.

By the way if you don't know I'm running Vista SP 1 and a GeForce 8800GTS 512. So I set everything except the multisampling to the highest rating possible and start playing. After about an hour, I decide to try the multisampling. So I set that on high and get back into the game. Guess what, the pc crashes, BSODs, and restarts. A little puzzled I restart the game, set the multisampling lvl back to default and continue playing. After another 2 minutes the same thing happens. The bsods giving different graphics driver files as being the cause of the crash. Now I'm even more confused.

A note: I personally built my PC from pieces, and I used an old frame which is somewhat too small to properly fit the GPU card. So that's why I always have one side out, and that's also partially the reason why my card is always very hot. And this led me to believe that maybe it was overheating. The normal temperature while the card is idle should be somewhere close to 50-55 degrees C. Mine idles at 73, and goes up to 82 on load, which actually isn't THAT bad. So it wasn't overheating.

As a final check I looked round the net for other people with the same issues. And sure enough I found a whole lot. No nobody has any fix, and the problem seems to come up randomly, even if the game was working perfect before.

The FIx: the fix for me was switching back from DX10 to DX9. I mean only use the DX9 exec. And I haven't had any problems with it since. Though it is strange..

See you guys 

No comments: