Monday, June 30, 2008

Download speed / UnRar Issues

      After the adventures of two weeks ago I finally got a chance to relax and enjoy my holiday. Got to see a few movies, play a few games, read a few pages, and beer was back on the menu. All fine and dandy. But then I noticed that a few things were off, even more than before.

     First thing I noticed was that my download speed over the Internet had been cut in half for no apparent reason. Second thing was that every torrent I was downloading had problems when I tried to unRAR it. And this could mean that somehow the data packages might be getting mixed up. I still don't know what is causing these problems but I did find ways to get around them.

     First thing's first, the download speed. After I made sure there were hardware issues, i started looking around for people that also had had this problem. Unfortunately I couldn't find anybody that did. What I DID find were a few tutorials ( that might be helpful to you even thought they weren't for me) . And here they are : First, the auto tuning for TCP/IP receive levels. And second, how to Change or Disable the QoS Reserved Bandwidth Limit in Vista. This one reffers to the default bandwidth that the OS has priority over for such programs as Auto Update. As I said these didn't work for me but they are useful, and most of all they're official, on the vista forums for x64 editions. In the end what I did was to search for an update for my ethernet controller and installed it. After rebooting everything was back to normal.

     Second issue. Problems unRaring torrents.
Well this still was kinda tricky and even though I tried a few things in order to find out what was causing the problem I didn't find anything. What I did find though was that , the data packets were ok, and weren't getting scrambled which meant that the files were actually OK. So the simple solution was simply to select, on Winrar's "Extract to" window the "keep broken files" option. This way I still get all the error messages but in the end it keeps all files, and all files work.

     Well hope this helps, cheers Geeky.

PS: In regards to what I was writing in the last article, just in case you're curious , Diablo Battlechest fully works on Vista x32 as long as you get the lattest patches from Blizz, and D2 works on vista x64 ( i just tried it ) again get the patches.

No comments: