Saturday, December 13, 2008

Windows Se7en

After a full week of doing almost nothing ( just a Vista reinstall after buying a brand new Seagate 640gb HDD) today was a nice day. Why? No not because I went out with friends and had fun ..but because I finally got my hands on a Windows 7 Beta. Yes yes ..Microsoft Windows 7 Beta ..it's out ..and I have it. ( actually it's been out for quite a while now ..I even wrote about it ).

So quick facts: I'm running build 6.1.6956 ( The final release will be 6.5 and not 7 just to improve compatibility with drivers and apps) It looks even better than Vista. It boots and shuts down in the same amount of time. It uses exactly the same resource amount as Vista SP1. I've had no issues with drivers until now. In case your installer says it's not made for this version of windows just use the "run in compatibility with.." option. Surprisingly it works wonders.

The only issues that I've had so far is that upon installation it messed up the MBR ( master boot record) so I had to use the Repair option on the dvd. But besides that it seems to work great. Stable and fast. And remember this is still Beta, we should see even bigger improvements with the RC releases.
For reference I'm running : Windows 7 Beta on :
Asus p5kc
Intel Quad Core Q6600
Maxtor 160gb SATA
2 GB RAM ~800
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 512

By the way I forgot to mention, one pleasant surprise: you can now choose the level of security you want from the UAC ( User Account Control) so it;s not that bothersome anymore.

And here are a few screens. For any questions feel free to comment.


Windows 7 Printscreen

Windows 7 desktop

No comments: