Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Windows 7 / How to install Alcohol

Most people would say that I have way too much free time, but that is simply not true. Today, instead of writing homework or studying for exams I decided to install Win 7 RC1. I would have installed the first public beta but because the licenses expire in a few months I decided not to, but this license expires in March next year so I'm fine till then.

Now besides all the new and wonderful features Seven also brings a lot of crap with it. Yes I am very aware that this is not the final product, that it's still beta and all of that so stop yelling. I am also very aware that I personally tested the pre-beta version with which I HAD NONE OF THESE PROBLEMS.

One of the very annoying problems I encountered was trying to install a program with which I could MOUNT VIRTUAL DISKS. I have an Alcohol 120% kit, that I used on Vista and the pre-beta release of seven without any problems. Well that failed. When trying to install you would be prompted to restart. Now there are two things that go wrong here:
1) You reboot but the installation starts all over again, looping like this forever.
2) Windows crashes on boot and won't boot again unless you restart and use the Check Startup Tool provided there.
Mine was the second case. So I finally got windows to boot again and decided to try Daemon instead of Alcohol. I picked it up and installed it. Guess what? It would boot and go into an infinite loop the program always starting the setup instead of continuing on the install.

I looked around the web and found a solution that seemed somewhat logical. Before booting hit F8 and select one of the last options, the one that stops windows from enforcing DRIVER SIGNATURES. If that doesn't ( and it didn't) work for the daemon install it may work for other things, such as Windows not recognizing certain drivers and hardware.

( oh and if by any chance you have an Asus motherboard like I do the challenge is even better. On asus motherboards pressing F8 will get you the Boot Priority menu. So pressing too soon would get you that menu. Pressing too late would do nothing because Windows had already started to load. You have to have precise timing for anything to work)

Anyway when that didn't work I went directly to Daemon's forum and started looking around. No solution was found because the people at Daemon are crying because Seven is only a beta and they do not have support for betas and we should stop asking for it because it's a betaaa :(((( . God damn lazy bastards, the RTM release will probably be this summer and if all goes well Seven will be released before the end of the year so SCREW YOU. ( yes i'm pissed).

With that out of the way I checked back with the people at Alcohol. Well they seemed to be better at this, because they're latest release is Seven-prof. Meaning there are no compatibility issues. Or so they claimed ..when I installed it, it got me back in the loop of restarts with nothing really installing.

The last thing I did that actually worked is a combination of three things:
1) Completely disable the User Account Control.
2) Right click the setup.exe file ..and get it to run in compatibility mode with WIN XP.
3) Right click on the file and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
4) Finally upon restarting press F8 and select the setting I was talking about above.
I don't honestly know what made this work because none of the above steps worked on it's own. After doing all of that the setup should have worked and you should have Alcohol installed. You can get your User Acount Control back to it's setting and everything should work just fine.

4 comments:

Illuminatus said...

Dude, the latest Daemon Tools which I downloaded the second day after RC1 officially got out - that is 4.30.4....) works without issues in seven. So better check everything. Perhap alcohol did something before you got up to install daemon.

Unknown said...

You will also find that sometimes applications are blocked 'to protect your computer'

When selecting compat mode as well as 'run as administrator' - make sure if the button is there to 'Unbock' - do so..

That may have been the issue when I tried using the fix outlined here

Anonymous said...

I have an ASUS Eee PC 1005HA, and I downloaded Alcohol 120% earlier today. I was completely unaware of the issues between the two...

Now, at start up I just get a black screen with a white cursor blinking in the top left corner. Tried to press F8 and nothing happened. What do I do??? Do I need to do a complete system restore?

Geeky said...

Well considering you just did this and the post is almost 2 years old those original issues that i had were fixed in the meantime.
What you are experiencing is really weird, and yes sounds like you really need a system restore. But what I'd try first is to repair windows. From the original windows install device ( cd/usb) instead of selecting install just select repair. You might be lucky and that may do the trick.