Sunday, July 26, 2009

Y Mess for Iphone

So a few days ago the new version of Yahoo Messenger for iPhone came out. Supposedly there are a few bug fixes and other small improvements but what made me curious was the new Push feature.
Taking advantage of the new API in 3.0 SDK they now made Yahoo use push directly. So if you receive a message or notification on messenger, even if the app is not running directly you will still receive a notification on the screen ( similar to the one for SMSs).
So I installed the update and went on to test it. I have to say that I'm quite impressed with how well the whole push thing works. I mean the delay between receiving the message and the notification appearing on the screen is only a few seconds..and that can easily be attributed to crappy signal coverage.
Another thing that I was really interested in was the battery consumption with Push. This goes both ways. Meaning that the Push itself uses quite little batter ..from what I saw only about 5-10% more which is quite decent. The problem appears when you send replies to messages you receive. Because every time you hit reply, the app reloads, and uses A LOT of battery.
With brightness set to 60%, 3G on, e-mail set to manually download, and a full charged battery I couldn't use the app for more than a few hours till it went under 20%. And as I said that's only because of the application itself , not because of the Push feature.
All in all , everything is ok but you can't rely on this app to chat for a whole day. Be sure to check this article in romanian if you can rgstuff.ro
Cheers Geeky

No comments: