Thursday, April 30, 2009

Adobe Flash

A few days ago I installed the Adobe CS3 because I needed to work on some projects. Unfortunately ..ever since I reinstalled Windows, for some reason Flash CS3 doesn't work any longer on Vista. Don't ask me why ..it was working perfectly before. So I got myself Flash CS4 and installed it. Well the program itself worked without a hitch .. but after installing it I noticed that certain Flash dependent apps ( such as Yahoo Messenger) went haywire, because each of these apps were primarily searching for " flash.ocx" ( the global flash plug-in file), but the new file was flash10a.ocx ( due to the version change). So I kept getting errors and reduced functionality because of this.
One simple solution is to go to C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash find the flash%n.ocx file ( replace %n by whatever version of flash you have ..9a/9b/10a/10b- if older it should simply look like flash.ocx and you shouldn't be reading this post). Create a copy of the file ..and simply rename it to flash.ocx This should work in most cases and get you back to normal.
For some reason ( most likely because of some older registries ) this didn't work for me so I had to reinstall Y Mess for everything to get back to normal. ( when I reinstalled it actually updated the flash plug-in from flas10a.ocx to flash10b.ocx)
Cheers, and enjoy the long weekend everyone.

No comments: